Thursday, July 8, 2010

Nursing a sick baby.

My almost three year old daughter is in the hospital, we don't know what's wrong with her, but hopefully the MRI we're waiting on will give us some clue. A week ago,she was a normal three year old, now she can't talk, she can't walk, she can't stand or sit up or even hold her head up. She's like a newborn. She doesn't respond to us, she doesn't move, she just lays on the bed and cries.

She won't eat or drink anything, we keep offering her favorites and special treats. She doesn't even want ice cream or soda. Today is the sixth day of exclusive breastfeeding. She was on an IV for a couple of days, but they took it out yesterday.

The doctor was trying to criticize me for nursing her, but my milk is the only sustenance she's getting. Maybe they should figure out how to get some food in her, instead of dumping on me for keeping her alive.

I'm also nursing my newborn, and the doctor says I shouldn't be tandem nursing because they need different types of milk. I know that, but my body is producing newborn milk, and there's nothing wrong with giving my older daughter newborn milk, especially considering the alternative is nothing.

They said that if I stop nursing her,she'll decide to eat, but it doesn't work like that. I went home last night while my mom stayed with her, she didn't nurse for over 12 hours, and she still wouldn't eat or drink.

And nursing is the only thing that consoles her. When she's not nursing, she's crying. We try holding her, singing to her, offering all her favorite things, etc. Nothing has any effect, except nursing her.

I guess I'm just looking for people to comfort me and tell me I'm doing the right thing. And has anyone been through something like this? Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

No comments:

Post a Comment